Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Interview Number One...

Characters:

Will(Hero): Interviewee
Skylar(Heroine),Morgan: Interviewers
Chuckie: Will's friend


Will gets an interview scheduled through his Consultants.

[Titles Start]

Will gets up late in the morning. He is forced to finish his morning routine quick. By the time he comes out of bathroom, power is gone. He glances at the clothes, which he was planning to iron and wear for the interview, with despair. He goes to the closet and tries mixing and matching and finally comes up with a pair satisfactory to him.

Since he is late, Will takes help of his buddy Chuckie. Chuckie agrees to drop Will at the interview location. But he cant be there for long coz 'he has to go see about a girl'. They are on their way. Will is already tensed thinking about the interview and on top of that there is a chance that he might be late to reach the place. POVs of Will and Chuckie are shown on the way.

Will hesitates while climbing stairs... By the time he reaches the venue for interview, the interviewers are already in and are seated comfortably.

[Titles End]

He enters the room for face to face interview. Interviewers are Skylar and Morgan. He gets himself seated across the table to both.

Interview starts with "Kem chos". Then it goes to tell me about yourself. Morgan takes anchor's role. Will starts with a voice full of confidence and goes ahead with his description. Then he faces the same question which was asked to him by a zillion people on numerous occasions, "where is your company located?" Will crosses that hurdle.

Morgan sizes up the guy who is sitting across the table, as he speaks. So does Skylar.

Morgan:
How about your studies, college etc. ?

Will:
I took my bachelors from QWE college in RTY stream in the year 1234.

Morgan:
How and when you started your professional career ?

Will:
I started my carrier in ZXCV that was in 9876. Then I moved to my current employer.

Will still looks tensed. Since Morgan has some knowledge about the college where Will studied, to lighten the tense air he diverts the topic a bit.

Morgan:
Do you have any idea about the present activities in college, about teachers etc.?

Will:
[Thinking]What sort of question is this? [/Thinking]Yes, but not much. Heard that there are lot many problems reported and that there is politics involved. Now most of the teachers who interacted with us are gone... either transfer or higher studies.

Morgan:
Where do you stay, by the way?

Will:
You know QWERTY building? Opposite to that. I am staying with my friends.

Morgan leaves the scene, asking Skylar to go ahead with the interview.

Skylar:
So... Tell me about your work and how much you rate yourself in your area ?

Will:
I am into Mobile repairing. I have worked for mobile company X for couple of years. Now I am working on Y and Z mobile phones. I ll rate myself 8/10.

Skylar:
Morgan also does something on Mobiles. But I don't know much about that. I am into Mac Book servicing.

Will:
I don't know anything about Mac Book. Please go ahead with your questions.

Skylar:
[Thinking] God... I don't know what to ask. What should I do? I will be frank with him. That is the best way.[/Thinking]
This is the first time I am taking an interview. I don't know what to ask.

Will:
[Thinking]If you don't know what to ask, how will you find out whether I match the requirement? Or is it that you are not clear about what you want? [/Thinking] I ll divulge one more thing. I have some malicious code on my machine. But it appears rarely. Rest assured there are no bad sectors.

Skylar:
(Startled)REGULARLY?

Will:
I said rarely.

Skylar:
When you say malicious code... Is it a worm or a virus?

Will:
(Smiling) It is kind of both.

Skylar:
Ok. Now a days it is very common. [Thinking] Is this an anticipatory bail? Or he is being sincere? I don't get what this guy is driving at [/Thinking]

Will:
But that is not an excuse. Moreover, the consultancy who sent me here does not know about this. I know that they are quite used to not having any malicious code and are totally against it. So I don't know how they react if they know this.

Anymore questions ?

Skylar:
I told you this is the first time I am taking an interview and I don't know what to ask.

Will:
[Thinking] OMG... is this another way of saying 'Not Selected'? Let me try this [/Thinking]
Okie... Take down my number and if you have any questions don't mind calling.

[Skylar takes down the number and gives a call from her cell and Will disconnects the call.]

[Morgan Rejoins....]

Morgan:
Is it over Skylar? Alright Will... Our HR will let your Consultants know about the result.

Will:
[Thinking]Why can't he say in plain simple English whether I am through with this round or not.. rather than giving a vague answer like this? [/Thinking]

[After One Month...]


Will:
Hi Skylar...

It has been a month since we met for the interview... I understand 'no answer' is answer "NO".

I called you up to say Thanks... for keeping my secret a secret. When I told you the things, I was just thinking about being sincere or frank... My friend appraised me about the other side, which I overlooked... then I became a bit worried... thought it might get relayed to my consultants as a feedback, which would have been a catastrophe. Thought of calling you a couple of times... but then I realised it is a little too late.

Skylar:
Secrets should remain as secrets right? Sorry for what happened. No hard feelings please.

Will:
Thanks for your discretion. No Problem. When you go on this mode, all these are expected even though you are optimistic.

Skylar:
That is nice of you to say. All the best in your search.

[After 4-5 hours]

Will:
Hi.... This is Will again.

Skylar:
Oh ho... What is it?

Will:
I ll start... I respect your decision. I m not trying to impress you. I know it is a bit odd when I call you... coz you have already called it quits. Moreover I understand it is all about catching the best fish, either way. Since the HR round didn't happen, I kind of figured out that a better fish is already captured, which likes chocolate layer or any other layer.

Skylar:
Huh????

Will:
I ll come to the point. I need help.

Skylar:
(Sighs!!!) Go ahead. you started playing it straight, stick to it. Remember these are all your interpretations. I have not said anything.

Will:
Okie... If it is possible to you.... Could you tell me the reason why the rejection happened? I am asking it because I ll be taking the same steps and meeting another interviewer in the near future. I don't want this phase to happen again. So... If it is something I can correct, I ll correct it and go. I would like to get a feedback. You don't have to be considerate... Since I am asking for it, be blunt. Rest assured, I can take it whatever it may.

Skylar:
[Thinking] Oh God!!!!! What a specimen. Lucky that he didn't get selected.[/Thinking] See... It's not your fault. It is not that there is something wrong with you. When we got a candidate who fits the exact requirement, we selected him. And as you know, we have only one vacancy.

Will:
Alright. Thanks... for your time and for listening patiently. Bye.

Skylar:
Bye.

Will looks dejected after the call. Once the interview got over he was optimistic that he might get selected. Now that he got the result he lies on his back and looks at the ceiling fan and thinks about the incidents of the interview day. Chuckie comes to Will's room and finds him low on spirit. He gets the reason from Will. He drags Will out to the nearest cafe and there they are joined by their friends...

Chuckie talks about the girl whom he is going to meet for dinner.

Chuckie:
I am going for dinner with 'my girl'. I have decided. This is my girl.

Will:
I am at a loss how you figured out this is your girl... that too in one look!!!

Chuckie:
It was impulsive. She was a stunner.

Will:
But a person's identity is made by his/her character. You agree to it?

Chuckie:
Yes.

Will:
Then how can you decide just on looks? I agree that looks also matter but...

Chuckie:
Brother, I started with looks let me meet her a couple of times and talk then I ll figure out.

Will:
What happened to that girl whom you met on the day of my interview?

Chuckie:
(Grinning)She dumped me. In fact she stood me up that day.

Will: STOOD YOU UP !!!!! she stood you up???? Oh man... That is disgusting.

[Now Will is not thinking about the interview... he is busy with friendly banter. Everything back to Normal]
[ZOOM OUT]

No comments: